Explosion Cake

Sunday, March 24, 2013

This morning, I woke up & I was in the mood... to bake. After creeping around on Pinterest I found what I was going to make and I couldn't wait. The name of this delicious creation was "Explosion Cake". I read over the ingredients and off to the grocery store I went. 



Here's the recipe:
1 cup of coconut
1 cup of chopped walnuts
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups of powdered sugar
3/4 cup of chocolate chips

After going grocery shopping, I came home super excited to get my bake on. I open up the recipe and start reading the instructions only to find out that MORE ingredients are required.... The ingredients that are needed to make the box of chocolate cake which of course I don't have on hand. Here's a list of the additional ingredients:

3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup of water or milk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil

Luckily, I had oil & milk. Eggs on the other hand, I did not have. As a substitute(Thanks to my wonderful aunt for the solution) I used 1 tsp of baking powder per required egg. I also added a little bit of extra oil so that it would remain moist. Substituting other things for eggs is a first for me, so we'll see how it turns out. 

Almost all of the ingredients

Ceili decided she wanted in on this picture :)

As a side note, I would like to point out that I very rarely use pre made box cakes, cookies, etc... I usually make them by scratch. Today I have a lengthy to-do list so I may have cut a small corner. (Shhhhh)

Instructions:

Start by preheating the oven at 350 degrees & greasing a 9x13 inch pan, then sprinkle the cup of walnuts and the cup of coconut on the bottom of the pan, creating an even layer.



Following instructions on the back of the chocolate cake box, mix required ingredients(eggs, milk or water & oil), once that's done, pour the cake mix over the coconut and walnuts.


I love my cupcake spatula(Courtesy of Mom & Joey Christmas 2012)

In another bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, butter & vanilla with an electric mixer, gradually add in the icing sugar until smooth.



Take a large spoon and scoop out the mixture onto the cake mix making sure there is a once inch margin around the sides of the pan. This prevents it from bubbling over the edge of the pan.



Take a fork or butter knife and weave up and down the mixture in the pan making an s pattern so the chocolate and cream cheese mixture somewhat mix. Be careful not to push the fork or knife all the way to bottom so the coconut and walnuts stay on the bottom and don't get brought to the top. 


Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and place in the over for about 35-40 minutes. The recipe I found said put it in the over for 50 minutes.... I took it out at 35 minutes and it was starting to burn.


Up close it's looking pretty good.



 I feel like I should give it another shot when I have eggs on hand and make it as it supposed to be made. I'm not a huge coconut fan either but I thought this just looked so delicious that it had to be good regardless of the coconut. That being said, I can always replace the coconut with Skor bits or something like that which I will probably do!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts